GOING FULL-CIRCLE FOR YOU
What is Manual Therapy?
Manual therapy is a multidimensional and hands on approach towards evaluating and treating musculoskeletal injuries. It is a structured and evidence based process that helps therapists differentiate between injuries of the muscles, ligaments, joints, nerves and fascial systems.
What does Manual Therapy treatment do?
• Increases circulation and promote healing
• Decreases pain and swelling
• Increases range of motion
• Activates musculature in ideal length
• Improves joint position sense and balance
What is Orthopedic Physiotherapy?
Orthopedic physiotherapy is a therapy that evaluates, treats, and aims to prevent bodily injuries that occur through wear and tear or through unexpected injuries. Using only conservative methods, physiotherapists evaluate how you move, how strong you are, how your nerves are working and many other aspects of your physical capacity. After developing a clinical diagnosis through extensive testing and experience, the therapist then treats the injury through manual techniques, exercise, education and pain relief modalities. At times referrals are made to other health care professionals if deemed necessary by the physiotherapist. Physiotherapy can be appropriate at any age and for any activity level.
What are some of the most common injuries treated by Orthopedic Physiotherapists?
• Back pain, herniated discs, stenosis, degenerative disc disease, scoliosis and other congenital variations
• Headaches, dizziness, jaw pain, acute rye (stiff) neck
• Plantar fasciitis or carpal tunnel syndrome
• Sciatic, femoral nerve or brachial plexus injuries, peripheral nerve damage
• Car accidents, whiplash , falls or trauma
• Post pregnancy pain, spinal or peripheral instability
• Breathing and motor control dysfunction
• Post operative rehabilitation- range of motion, strengthening and return to function
• Healed fractures or dislocations/subluxations
• Tennis elbow, golfers elbow, shin splints
• Tendinitis/osis, arthritis/osis, sprains, strains, tears
• Posture, ergonomics, sleeping position suggestions
Canadian Physiotherapy Association
Ordre professionnel de la physiothérapie du Quebec
Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physiotherapy